If the print dialog box does not automatically appear, open the file menu and choose Print.
Article published January 6, 2013
Chimney fire damages Butler Twp house
BUTLER TWP — A woman had to be treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation Saturday night after a fire in a chimney spread into the walls of her home in the 800 block of Bullcreek Road, authorities said. Jennifer and Charles Spryn were at their ranch-style house about 10:25 p.m. when they discovered the fire, said Kevin Smith, assistant chief for the South Butler Volunteer Fire Department. The couple got out as the home began filling with smoke. Jennifer Spryn was taken to Butler Memorial Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, and later released. About 40 firefighters from six departments arrived at the house and quickly extinguished the fire before it got out of control, authorities said. Smith said firefighters had to rip through a bedroom wall to get to the fire that had spread from a fireplace in the living room. He suspected a crack in the fireplace possibly started the fire. Damage was estimated at $12,000. The house is insured. The Butler chapter of the American Red Cross assisted the couple with emergency needs. The Spryns had to find temporary housing overnight, officials said. Assisting the South Butler Volunteer Fire Department were firefighters from Meridian, Lyndora Greenwood Village, Mercer Road and Herman.