Marketplace   Menu Guide   Complete Pages      
butler eagle
Site last updated: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 Bookmark our site!
Local PennsylvaniaNationalInternationalNews Extras  
Published: January 6, 2013 print this article Print save this article Save email this article Email ENLARGE TEXT increase font decrease font

Chimney fire damages Butler Twp house



BUTLER TWP — A woman had to be treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation Saturday night after a fire in a chimney spread into the walls of her home in the 800 block of Bullcreek Road, authorities said.
Jennifer and Charles Spryn were at their ranch-style house about 10:25 p.m. when they discovered the fire, said Kevin Smith, assistant chief for the South Butler Volunteer Fire Department.
The couple got out as the home began filling with smoke. Jennifer Spryn was taken to Butler Memorial Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, and later released.
About 40 firefighters from six departments arrived at the house and quickly extinguished the fire before it got out of control, authorities said.
Smith said firefighters had to rip through a bedroom wall to get to the fire that had spread from a fireplace in the living room.
He suspected a crack in the fireplace possibly started the fire. Damage was estimated at $12,000. The house is insured.
The Butler chapter of the American Red Cross assisted the couple with emergency needs.
The Spryns had to find temporary housing overnight, officials said.
Assisting the South Butler Volunteer Fire Department were firefighters from Meridian, Lyndora Greenwood Village, Mercer Road and Herman.





Back
Comments
Order Photos!
 
MORE NEWS HEADLINES
arrow ID theft scheme cost Treasury $10 million
arrow HEADLINES
arrow Couple visits Butler, Jeep on Spirit of '45 tour
arrow Slippery Rock man, 25, accused of welfare fraud
 
MOST READ ARTICLES
arrow Power outage hits 4,000 homes, businesses
arrow POLICE REPORTS
arrow Most power restored after outage this morning
arrow Pro-frackers fibbing