Marketplace   Menu Guide   Complete Pages      
butler eagle
Site last updated: Monday, October 20, 2014 Bookmark our site!
Local PennsylvaniaNationalInternationalNews Extras  
Published: January 30, 2013 print this article Print save this article Save email this article Email ENLARGE TEXT increase font decrease font

Woman hurt in city fire this morning



A woman was seriously burned this morning when she dropped a lit cigarette near her oxygen tank and started a fire in her city apartment, authorities said.
The fire about 1:50 a.m. forced seven other tenants to flee the four-unit, two-floor apartment building at 334 N. McKean St., but no one else was injured.
Butler police and firefighters helped in the evacuation.
Firefighters contained the blaze to the apartment where it started.
Debra Heath, 54, suffered second-degree burns on her hands and arms while trying to put out the fire.
She was taken to Butler Memorial Hospital and later transferred to the UPMC Mercy Burn Center in Pittsburgh, said Butler Fire Chief Nick Ban.
Authorities said moments before the fire she was on the couch smoking a cigarette while using oxygen.
“She got off the couch and tripped on her oxygen tubing and dropped her cigarette on the couch, igniting the couch,” Ban said.
“She tried to put out the fire with the couch cushions and made the fire worse. The oxygen fueled the fire.”
Ban said the other tenants likely would be able to return to their apartments by the weekend.





Back
Comments
Order Photos!
 
MORE NEWS HEADLINES
arrow Wolf reports $1.3M, Corbett $200,000 in 2013 income
arrow Web promos for Tuesday
arrow Mars leader leaves
arrow Specialty practice acquired
 
MOST READ ARTICLES
arrow Fire damages, closes Trader Horn on Rt. 422
arrow Small Social Security benefit hike expected
arrow POLICE REPORTS
arrow Kelly touts local roots