Marketplace   Menu Guide   Complete Pages      
butler eagle
Site last updated: Thursday, October 23, 2014 Bookmark our site!
Local PennsylvaniaNationalInternationalNews Extras  
Published: October 15, 2012 print this article Print save this article Save email this article Email ENLARGE TEXT increase font decrease font

Couple escape fire this morning

CENTER TWP — A couple had to crawl through a bedroom window this morning to escape a fire in a mobile home on Jamisonville Road.
Matthew Venturini suffered cuts to both his hands from breaking the window but he was grateful no one else was hurt.
“He saved my life,” said Venturini’s girlfriend, Jennafer McGrady. “I didn’t even know there was a fire. I would have slept through it.”
A smoke detector awakened Venturini.
“I heard the alarm and then smelled the smoke,” he said. “I got (McGrady) up right away.”
But the smoke was too thick to make it through the living room, where fire officials suspect the blaze started, leaving the couple momentarily trapped in the back bedroom.
Venturini smashed a window, and the pair eased their way out of the home at 100 Jamisonville Road, just off Route 308.
The couple is staying there with friend Dennis Spithaler, who owns the trailer with three additions. He was at work when the fire occurred.
Chief Greg Brewster of the Unionviille Volunteer Fire Department blamed the fire on an overheated 55-gallon drum woodburner in the home. It apparently spread to a nearby wood pile that was stacked against a wall.
Firefighters from Unionville, West Sunbury and Prospect were called, and quickly put out the fire, containing it to a portion of the living room.
Damage is estimated at $10,000.

Order Photos!
arrow Canada gunman wanted a passport to go to Mideast
arrow Parking meeting sought
arrow Stores, eateries may be on way
arrow Grandma pleads guilty
arrow Crash proves fatal
arrow Grandmother pleads guilty to drug dealing
arrow State law nixes city parking lot for hotel