Site last updated: Thursday, April 3, 2025
Welcome, GuestSign In

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Blinken heads to the Middle East for the 11th time since the Gaza war, but truce prospects uncertain

U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken attends a reception for U.S. President Joe Biden in Bellevue Palace, Berlin, Friday Oct. 18, 2024. (Associated Press)

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Antony Blinken is heading again to the Middle East, making his 11th trip to the region since the war in Gaza erupted last year and as Israel steps up attacks against Hezbollah in Lebanon.

The State Department said Blinken would depart Monday for a weeklong trip to Israel and a number of Arab countries on a visit that also comes as Israel weighs retaliation against Iran for a ballistic missile attack earlier this month. His other stops are likely to include Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, officials say.

The trip had been expected after President Joe Biden said last week he would dispatch Blinken to the region following Israel’s killing of Hamas military chief Yahya Sinwar, a move that some believe could open a window for new talks on a cease-fire proposal that has been languishing for months.

In Israel on Tuesday, Blinken will meet Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Isaac Herzog, according to Israeli officials.

More in International News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS